- Facing death with far fewer fears
- A funeral ceremony being held in a home or a private, intimate setting; allowing for a longer and more personal good-bye
- Bodies being respectfully touched by family and friends, not by strangers
- Family and friends decorating or building a casket or urn as a healing act of closure
- Ecologically conscious final disposition (a cremation or green burial)
- Children learning that death is a natural part of the lifecycle by participating in a home funeral
Celebrating 20 Years in Death Midwifery and Home Funeral Guidance!
Founded in 1995, Final Passages is the first organization in the United States with the mssion to inform and educate the public about their rights to care for their own dead.
Final Passages is a non-profit, educational institute and resource center dedicated to conscious dying, and a holistic, green, compassionate and dignified alternative to conventional funeral and after-death practices.
We were the first nationwide to create a death midwifery and home funeral guidance training program.
“Final Passages’ course work is life changing. The education is transforming my perspectives on death and the healing that can occur at the end of life. I look forward to sharing, connecting and assisting with my family, friends and community about home funerals.”
— Victoria Joy
Final Passages is an active participant in the National Home Funeral Alliance.
Our work serves the needs of community members who come from a variety of cultural, economic, and religious perspectives.